Boys & Girls Club of the Wausau Area
Executive Director Ideal Candidate Profile
The Boys & Girls Club (Club) of the Wausau Area is a nonprofit corporation under 501(c)(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. Our mission is “to enrich and transform the lives of young people, especially those who need us most”. The Club is open five days a week throughout the year and serves more than 2,400 registered members at four locations, with an additional 5,500 children supported through various outreach initiatives. To learn more about the Boys & Girls Club of the Wausau Area, visit www.bgclub.com.
The Executive Director (ED) will lead an organization that is making a significant impact in the community by providing a safe place for youth to feel connected to the community and supported to do well in school and in life. The ED will work passionately and collaboratively with the staff and the community to advance the ambitious goals of increasing graduation rates, exposing kids to positive role models, hobbies and career paths.
Fundraising will continue to be the foundation upon which success is possible. The ED will build relationships throughout the community to partner with people and organizations able to provide creative ideas and crucial funding to reach goals outlined in the strategic plan and will work with the board and staff to develop a road map for future success. This person will serve as a charismatic and engaging face of the organization, effectively communicating the larger vision with integrity and serving as a role model to the Club’s kids, staff and community.
With strong operational expertise, business acumen and emotional intelligence, this person will provide:
- Effective leadership and development of the staff and governing board, enhancing the team the Boys & Girls Club (Club) of the Wausau Area already has in place. The ED will work closely with the staff to guide multiple initiatives without sacrificing the level of quality in the programming and services provided to Club members.
- Sound fiscal management, focused on developing ways to grow philanthropy, grants, and support existing and future programming initiatives outlined in the strategic plan, as well as working within the budget.
- Strategic guidance for continued growth, developing with the Board and staff a five-year plan for the Club.
This person will understand firsthand the backgrounds of the youth served and champion a culture of diversity, inclusion, and trust. The ED will be a strong servant leader who is both visible and approachable, portraying humility, honesty, enthusiasm, resilience, and a strong work ethic, especially in times of conflict and challenge. The ED has the responsibility to lead a team of direct reports and will report to the Board of Directors.
Education and Qualifications
- Proven leadership skills developed through 10+ years in senior management positions. Candidate’s experience may include work in a non-profit, for-profit, or government organization. Experience in the social services sector is highly desired.
- Well-rounded experience and success in fundraising, including major gifts development, grants, annual campaigns, planned giving, special events, stewardship strategies, and providing innovative solutions to reach financial goals.
- Direct experience with operational budget development/management and P&L oversight.
- Demonstrated ability to leverage data for effective decision-making.
- Proven skills developing and implementing strategic business plans.
- Demonstrated ability to organize, direct, plan and coordinate operations within a multi-faceted organization.
- Experience working with a Board of Directors or other governing body.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral; strong presentation skills.
- Demonstrated success working with diverse groups and perspectives.
- Bachelor degree or advanced post-secondary degree preferred.
- The successful candidate must possess a valid driver’s license.
- Strategic Leadership: Confronts the complex realities of the environment and simultaneously maintains faith in a different and better future, providing purpose, direction and motivation.
- Fund Raising/Resource Development: Understands that fundraising and sustainable resource development is the foundation upon which the Boys and Girls Club long term success is built.
- Business Acumen: Possesses a high-level of broad business and management skills and is effective at generating financial support for the organization.
- Results Driven: Dedicated to shared and measurable goals for the common good; creating, resourcing, scaling, and leveraging strategies and innovations for broad investment and impact.
- Relationship Oriented: Understands that people come before process and is astute in cultivating and managing relationships.
- Brand Image/Reputation: Stewards the brand and understands his/her role in growing and protecting the reputation and results of the greater Boys and Girls Club network.
- Mission Focused: Focused on fulfilling the mission of the organization to build a stronger and more sustainable program for the community.
- Team Builder: Ensures that the right people are in the right roles at the right times; fostering commitment, trust and collaboration among multi-cultural leaders and stakeholders.
- Collaborator: Understands the roles and contributions of all sectors of the community and can mobilize resources (financial and human) through meaningful engagement.
Duties and Responsibilities
- Excellent interpersonal skills and high emotional intelligence to connect well with staff, volunteers, Board members, funders, community, and kids. Manage conflict and respect where people are coming from, with a profound understanding of those coming from disadvantaged backgrounds.
- Leads and inspires a high-performing team and ensure all staff members are aligned and collaborating to achieve organizational results.
- Builds the capacity of existing professional staff and raise the level of expertise for new professional staff.
- Maintains accountability for the operational and fiscal integrity of the organization within policies set by the Board of Directors.
- Assures that the organization is in compliance with membership and other requirements or standards of BGCA.
- Promotes an organizational culture that fosters passion for the mission of the Boys and Girls Club, collaboration, open and frequent communication, teamwork, diversity and inclusion, and a common organizational vision.
- Collaborates with and supports the Board of Directors in the development of an effective and motivated board, including identification, recruitment, training and involvement of members in meeting the goals of the organization.
- Provides oversight of the strategic plan and the planning process to identify future direction for the organization, including leading the development, implementation, and successful execution of the annual operational plan.
- Leverages and coordinates resources to ensure strategic alignment of resources and staff.
- Oversees fundraising planning and implementation by working to identify resource requirements, research new funding sources, establish strategies to approach funders, and oversee fundraising records and documentation.
- Active and successful pursuit of opportunities to develop funding, building and maintaining relationships with funders that will allow for the continuation of current successful programs and for the growth of new programming. Create strategies to retain existing investors and recruit new investors.
- Assures management and attainment of resources necessary to ensure the financial operations of the agency are conducted in a manner approved by the Board of Directors and in accordance with BGCA and applicable laws.
- Identify, recruit and develop effective support for board members.
- Serves as the face of the organization and public steward of the mission, promoting the goals and mission throughout the community, and engaging and inspiring others to support the efforts through volunteering, donating and partnering for effective change.
- Participates in community-wide conversations affecting youth and their families.
- Works with other non-profit, government, corporate and strategic partners to push for effective change through collaborative efforts that solve for needs identified in the community.
To perform the job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential function satisfactorily. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable a qualified individual with a disability to perform the essential functions.
PeopleFirst HR Solutions is proud to partner with the Boys & Girls Club of the Wausau Area in filling this position. Interested professionals should submit a letter of interest, resume and salary history to email@example.com, or send them to PeopleFirst HR Solutions, 600 North 3rd Street, Suite 204, La Crosse, WI 54601 by February 5, 2019.
The Boys & Girls Club of the Wausau Area is an Equal Opportunity Employer